Questions From Readers
Part 3 (Hiring)
February 3, 2012
Thanks for your letters. Sir, how do I hire my staff?
I appreciate you reading the letters. I am sure you are finding them very handy and useful. Hiring staff members is one of the most crucial roles you will play when you need to start or grow your business.
In fact, I have been told that the kind of staff you hire can either make or break your business.
Here are a few points you need to keep in mind before deciding to begin hiring staff:
1. It is almost impossible for you to know everything about someone before you hire him/her
2. Every one of them will have their individual strengths and weaknesses
3. Every one of them will have a unique culture or character and it will be revealed when they work for you
4. Every one of them will come with different experiences, learned from their previous work places
How to hire staff is quite straightforward. You can choose either:
1. Newspapers to post your job vacancies
2. Inform friends and colleagues about your job vacancies
3. Hire a professional to help you recruit
Moreover, what you do before hiring staff is often more important than how to hire them. Being clear and precise about some things is necessary for you as a business owner.
From the statements made above, it is crucial that you take advantage of this knowledge and use that to guide the ways you want to hire staff, using Fast(in) as a guide.
Here are some questions you should ask yourself before proceeding on hiring staff:
1. Do you have a clear goal of where you want your business to be on a definite date? E.g. 5 years ( Facts, not Opinions )
2. Do you have a clear idea of the kind of people you would need to help you achieve the goal you have for your business ? ( Age, Sex, Status, Education, Experience etc ) ( See in Systems ) Know the Big Picture.
3. Do you have a written set of responsibilities that each staff member will carry out? ( Inquire, expect, prepare, move ) Know the rules of the game, if you want to play.
4. Do you have a written step-by-step process of HOW you want your staff to carry out each responsibility? A Handbook of how to do what they were hired for? ( Inquire, expect, prepare, move ) Know the
rules of the game, if you want to play.
5. Do you know the market worth of the kind of people you want as staff members? ( Ask the Right and Best source )
6. Do you have a clear business culture on how you want the staff to think and act? ( Think and Act the Best Way)
Questions like these are the foundation of getting the right people because once you have the above in place, you will automatically have a standard for the kind of people you want as staff members.
This will definitely help your recruitment and interview process, such as:
1. The kind of questions you will be asking them
2. The kind of answers you will be looking out for from the job candidates
Hiring staff is not an easy process. It will take time and money, a lot of people will be below the standard you have in mind, but you must keep looking and not compromise on your standards too easily.
Remember, your culture is everything
P.S. If you have any questions about business, relationships, loved ones; kindly send it to me and let us use Fast(in) as a guide to find the answers you seek.
--- Copyright © 2011 HiZen-3 Ltd
This story is a series of letters written by Segun Cadmus, Manager, HiZen-3 Ltd, a company created to be the Ultimate guide in Culture Management at work and life. Please visit us at: http://www.hizenworld.com for more information about what we do.
Please share a comment about Questions - Hiring:
Email HiZen-3 Ltd
First Letter From HiZen
Second Letter From HiZen
Third Letter From HiZen
Fourth Letter From HiZen
Fifth Letter From HiZen
Sixth Letter From HiZen
Seventh Letter From HiZen
Eighth Letter From HiZen
Ninth Letter From HiZen
Tenth Letter From HiZen
Eleventh Letter From HiZen
Twelfth Letter From HiZen
Thirteenth Letter From HiZen - Matilda
Fourteenth Letter From HiZen - Chuk
Fifteenth Letter From HiZen - Joan
Sixteenth Letter From HiZen - Joan
Seventeenth Letter From HiZen - Kwame
Do you LIKE our site?
Be sure to click on the +1 button above
Have something you would like to share?
An insight that has helped you?
We invite you to submit a story/article/poem.